ok yeah so its been a pretty good first week back so far i would have to say. its been pretty eventful. everything pretty much starts out with the devil train (most def not the hogwarts express). seriously i dont mean to diss trains or anything but they suck buttmonkeys (dont ask me what that means...its just something i find myself saying often ha). really, and honestly never ride the train ever, unless its just like for little happy SHORT family outings. NEVER NEVER EVER plan to ride the train for a DAY AND A HALF. its doesnt matter how many books or games or electronic devices you bring with you, they will not help to pass the time and you will want to die by the end of it. just warning you. you've been warned....well i mean i guess there are some upsides to taking the train though....its less expensive...you get to see beautiful colorado (coronado)....get to sit next to people who disappear for hours and come back smelling like weed...oh wait...hmmmm i mean you get to play nerts for 4 straight hours. so you see there are good things about the train...just not enough to justify the death that will befall upon you if you take it. hahah
anywaysss so we finally get off the train at 10 o'clock at night monday night (we got on the train sunday at 530) and somehow manage to cram all our luggage into hailey's jeep (even malaysias 2nd suitcase that was just for her shoes...? ha) and FINALLY make it home sweet home to good ol' heritage halls, 155 wells hall. i then promptly begin handing out christmas presents to everyone telling them to open them quickly so i wont end up giving THEM presents on MY birthday. and then blah blah blah they love them blah blah blah we order and devour pizza blah blah blah blah blah a lot of other stuff that i cant remember or care about and then i go to sleep and its MY BIRTHDAY!
my birthday started out fab. my first class at 930 am (thats right, all my classes start at 9 and 930 this semester...what was i thinking??!) was canceled and i got to sleep in and it was just glorious especially after that horrible train ride. then i get up get ready for the day, receive my books in the mail, and then head on out to my german class at 12, which is my only class that day, which is SA-WEEET. pretty much the best class ever. easily my favorite class. the teacher is super funny and cute and im remembering how to speak german and its just great. annnnnnd then after that when i get home i get a call from the creamery from my new boss asking if its ok if they train me tonight with the other girl. so i tell her thats fine, have a great rest of my birthday and then at 9 o'clock head on over to the creamery.
now in case you are unawares, i was hired right at the end of last semester by the creamery on 9th to be a grill closer. what is a grill closer you ask? basically i go in at 9 after the grill closes and clean the grill. i wrap up food, wipe down counters, do dishes, sweep. doesnt sound that bad right? FALSE. (black bears) i also have to clean the grill grill grill, as in the one they are searing dead meat on all day long. so yeah let me give you a play by play of this particular little joy of life:
1. get one 3 gallon bucket to put under the grease hole to collect the nastiness
2. take out grease pan from under the grease hole and dump into grease bucket (grease pan is full of both liquids and chunky solids), then place grease bucket under grease hole
3. turn off grill and immediately douse in ice water. let it sit there for a second and then proceed to scrape into the grease canal which leads to the grease hole which dumps into the grease bucket
4. after the water comes the grill cleaner, which smells like death and ironically can cause death if it gets on your skin (it kills your liver in like 0.2 seconds). so you take the grill cleaner pour the whole thing over the whole grill, let it sit there for a second and sink in and bubble and then scrap it off into the canal. rinse, repeat.
5. after the grill cleaner you are still not done, then you have to bleach the thing with vinegar, annd we all know what vinegar smells like.
6. finally after that you are done with the cleaning aspect of the grill and all thats left to do is dump the now full three gallon bucket of grease. honestly, i collect enough grease in one night to grease the hair of the whole cast of the movie Grease for like a thousand years. oh and its best to try not to spill the grease all down your front...not an enjoyable experience.
but yeah thats my job and thats semi what i learned to do on my birthday. really all the training on my birthday did was make me so stinkin nervous for the next day cuz i had no idea how to do any of it. all i knew was that i sucked at all of it and was gonna be alone doing this (well not completely alone cuz i mean the ice cream ppl are still there but whatevs) but yeah i went there the next and finally started to figure things out and making sense of all the grossness. it was great, and really all that really matters is that im getting paid and its ok that it takes me a gazillion years the clean everything, im getting money for every second of it. thats all that really matters.